Long ago in ancient India , there lived a great sage
known as Daumya. Daumya was a well read scholar. He had many students living
with him in his gurukul ashram. In those days, it was the practice for students
to help their master in daily chores as they learnt their lessons from him.
“We saw him go into the forest for firewood. We haven’t seen
him after that” the others answered.
“But that was long back. He should have returned by now,”
said Daumya. He called five senior students and set off with them to look for
Aruni. It was still raining and there were pools of water everywhere. Branches
of trees had fallen all around. When Daumya saw the havoc wrecked by the rain,
he was concerned about the crops and Aruni too. He took hurried steps towards
the field calling, “Aruni!..Aruni! where are you?” As they reached the field,
Daumya noticed something unusual. The water had not entered the field. He
directed his students to walk along the bank. He called out to Aruni again.
This time he heard a feeble reply. “I’m here, master” It was so faint that he
wondered whether he really heard it. The search party moved in the direction of
the voice and saw something lying along the bank in the darkness. It was Aruni,
soaking wet, stiff and cold. He had stopped the water from entering the fields
by lying along the bank. In fact, he had been acting as the bank himself!
“If I had done so, the fields would be completely destroyed.
I could not let you down, master. But, I was not afraid. I knew you would come
and rescue me.”
Daumya smiled. He was pleased with his student’s unwavering
faith. “You are a virtuous and capable young man. You will grow to heights one
day,” he said. True to the master’s prediction, Aruni grew up to be a great
scholar and became known the world over as Uddalaka pandita.